My Favorite Poems By Shel Silverstein

 Here are a few of my favorite Shel Silverstein poems, and drawings that I want to share with you all!


From “A Light In The Attic by Shel Silverstein”

  Homework Machine 

The Homework Machine, oh the Homework Machine,
Most perfect contraption that’s ever been seen.
Just put in you homework, then drop in a dime,
Snap on the switch, and in ten seconds time,
Your homework comes out, quick and clean as can be. 
Here it is— “nine plus for?” and the answer is “three.”
Three?
Oh me  .  .  .
I guess it’s now as perfect 
As I thought it would be.



  Quick Trip

We’ve been caught by the quick-digesting Gink,


And now we are dodgin’ his teeth  .  .  .


And now we are restin’ in his intestine,


And now we’re back out on the street.



  Superstitious 

If your superstitious you’ll never step on cracks.
When you see a ladder you will never walk beneath it.
And if you ever spill some salt you’ll throw throw some ‘cross your back,
And carry ‘round a rabbit’s foot just in case you need it.
You’ll pick up any pin that you find lying on the ground, 
And never, never, ever throw your hat upon the bed,
Or open an umbrella when you are in the house.
You’ll bite your tongue each time you say
A thing you shouldn’t have said. 
You’ll hold your breath and cross your fingers
Walkin’ by a graveyard,
And number thirteen’s never gonna do you any good.
Black cats will all look vicious, if your superstitious,
But I’m not superstitious (knock on wood).



  Backward Bill

Backward Bill, Backward Bill,
He lives way up on Backward Hill,
Which is really a hole in the sandy ground 
(But that’s a hill turned upside down).

Backward Bill’s got a backward shack
With a big front porch that’s built out back.
You walk through the window and look out the door
And the cellar is up on the very top floor.


Backward Bill he rides like the wind
Don’t know where he’s going but sees where he’s been.
His spurs go “neigh” and his horse goes “clang,”
And his six-gun goes “gnab,” it never goes “bang.”


Backward Bill’s got a backwards pup,
They eat their supper when the sun comes up,
And he’s got a wife named Backward Lil,
“She’s my own true hate,” says Backward Bill.


Backward Bill wears hid hat on his toes
And puts his underwear over his clothes.
And come every payday he pays his boss,
And rides off a-smilie’ a-carryin ’ his hoss.


  How Not To Have To Dry The Dishes

If you have to dry the dishes
(Such an awful, boring chore)
If you have to dry the dishes
(“Stead of going to the store)
If you have to dry the dishes
And you drop one on the floor—
Maybe they won’t let you
Dry the dishes anymore.


  Fancy Dive

The fanciest dive that ever was done 
Was done by Melissa of Coconut Grove.
She bounced on the board and flew into the air
With a twist of her head and a twirl of her hair.
She did thirty-four jackknives, backflipped and spun,
Quadruple gainered, and reached for the sun, 
And then somersaulted nine times and a quarter—
And looked down and saw that the pool had no water.


  Hurk

I’d rather play tennis than go to the dentist.
I’d rather play soccer than go to the doctor.
I’d rather play Hurk than go to work.
Hurk? Hurk? What’s Hurk?
I don’t know, but it must be better than work.


  Overdues 

What do I do?
What do I do?
This library book is 42
Years overdue.
I admit that it’s mine
But I can’t pay the fine
Should I turn it in
Or hide it again?
What do I do?
What do I do?


Tryin’ On Clothes

I tried on the farmers hat,
Didn’t fit.
A little too small—just a bit
Too floppy.
Couldn’t get used to it,
Took it off.


I tried on the dancer’s shoes,
A little too loose.
Not the kind you could use
For walkin’
Didn’t feel right in ‘em,
Kicked ‘em off.


I tried on the summer sun,
Felt good.
Nice and warm—knew it would.
Tried the grass beneath bare feet,
Felt neat.
Finally finally felt well dressed,
Nature’s clothes just fit me best.









From “Homework Machine”

From “Quick Trip”

“Superstitious”

“Backwards Bill”

“How Not To Have To Dry The Dishes”

“Fancy Dive”

“Overdues”
“Tryin’ On Clothes”


I hope you all enjoy these as much as I did! What’s your favorite poem/quote? 
~Annika
Ps I will try to post about once a week

Comments

  1. I love those poems!! So, this has nothing to do with the post, but I was looking at your profile, and saw that you said you like Real Friends and Best Friends, by Shannon Hale. We have both of them, and I have read them over, and over, and over, and over! I really like 'em. Anyway, I was just surprised, because almost nobody knows about those books:) I REALLY like your blog!! I subscribed! ~Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These poems are so fun! You like Real Friends and Best Friend too!!! That's so cool! Thank you so much for subscribing!<3

      Delete
  2. Hey Annika! I love reading those books! I also really like the homework machine too 😂

    ~Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bailey! Yes the Homework Machine is one of my favorites, it felt right for right now XD. I'm pretty sure every kid wants a homework machine. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love poems! I don't think I've ever read any of these. Do you like to write poems? Have a great day!
    ��Lrose5


    https://creativegirl.art.blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so funny! I have wrote a few, but not many. You too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Thank you Annika, those poems were great! :D I love poetry of almost any kind, so this was a post I enjoyed! My favourites were "Fancy Dive" and "Backwards Bill"; they were pretty funny! XD

    ~ Jemima | theseekingbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! My favorites are:
    'Homework machine', 'messy room', 'Clarence' 'and my all time favorite: 'Kidnapped!'(anyone who has not read this one and thinks I'm crazy, it is a little girls who said she got kidnapped because she doesn't want to get in trouble being late for school.)
    ~SawyerMarie
    Sundropgirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey SawyerMarie! You have read his book too!?! =D I really love all of those poems too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to talk to you! I always respond to comments!

Popular Posts